About me

I play a paladin. These are my ramblings about what's going on with my character Denethal in the game.

Saturday, July 17, 2010

Thoughts about armor design

Every class got their own, sort of, unique armor set, also referred to as Tier-gear. We're now at Tier 10.

This is all nice and dandy, but to be honest, tiered gear are no longer the status symbols they used to be, nor are tiered gear best in slot in many cases.

But this isn't my gripe with tiered gear. It's the looks.

I've always been of the impression that we're playing an advanced version of Barbie and Ken, G.I Joe and G.I Jane. In other words, we're playing with dolls that we dress up with "I'm better than you"-gear.
Basically, what you're wearing is what defines you as a player.

We can see that on the progression from how epic gear were for the raiders and high-ranked pvp'ers only to what it is today, where epics are basically thrown after you for taking a stroll in the park.
Ok, maybe not that extreme, but the accessability of gear isn't what this post is about. It's about the design of it.

For the ease of it, gear looks the same, no matter what your purpose in the raid is. For paladins, it's quite evident as we do 3 completely different roles. But we all look the same. If you're healing, you're looking the same as the protadin or retadin. Likewise for the two other roles.

This is a tad annoying. I'd rather see that they had different looks based on their role.
Different helm, leggings and shoulders is what's needed.

Let's take a look at the retribution paladin first. For a retadin, those huge, metal lumps on your shoulders only looks mighty constricting, concidering that you're swinging a huge, two-handed weapon around. No mobility over the shoulders. Retadins should be more agile. Give them a different looking shoulderpiece. Same goes with the leggings. Stop giving us dresses. Despite what you think, they are constricting, as you have to dance around the boss and mobs all the time. The helm should be more open than the protection paladin's, but more protective than the holy paladin. It could be the protection paladins helm, just without a faceguard. Again for mobility, as a lighter helm means less fatigue as well as letting the paladin catch a better view of his immediate surroundings.

For holy paladins, let's face it. The helm needs to be open. Give them a halo or a headband. They stand at the back and need the clear view an open helmet provides them to supply the correct body with a heal or shield.

For protection paladins it's pretty simple. They are designed to take damage, so make their armor look like it. Faceguard on the helm, mobility isn't their forte and they only have to pay attention to those in his immediate surroundings anyway. In other words, those right infront of him. Big, solid shoulders, extra armorplates on the rest of the armor as well. Make him look like a tank.

While this may be some extra work for the developers, it's something I'd love to see in the game.
Perhaps I should draw up some pictures to demonstrate what I mean, it's a tad hard to show only by words alone.

1 comment:

  1. I'm with you on that - I'm a protection pally, I'd like some difference from the healing set!

    Also, more, better itemized kilts. I have yet to wear a set of teir legs due to their poor itemization for tanking, however I feel that they are among the most soley "paladin" pieces in the game. I'd love it if they would develop a really strong taking kilt for Cataclysm.

    ReplyDelete